San Lucas Mission
The San Lucas Mission is located in San Lucas Tolimán, approximately 3 hours west of Guatemala City. The primary goal of the Catholic San Lucas Mission is to immerse visitors in a cross-cultural learning experience. Visitors will have their eyes opened and perspectives changed about poverty, both international and local, by working alongside Guatemalans and observing everyday life. Volunteers will also learn about the Maya culture, the work of the mission, and the turbulent and complex history of Guatemala. Mission work includes construction projects, reforestation, gardening, stove building, coffee processing and more.
You can support the work of the mission in three ways:
- Purchase Juan Ana coffee
- Make a financial gift to the mission
- Join a mission trip
Juan Ana coffee will be available for purchase in the Cloister Walkway after all of the Masses on the second Sunday of each month. The mission buys the coffee beans well above market rates to give the local growers a better living wage. Our parish coffee sales are not a fundraiser for the parish; the coffee is sold at cost. Volunteers are needed to assist with coffee sales each month.
Outreach to the Poor envelopes are available in the monthly offertory packets. You may use this envelope to make a gift to the mission; the St. John Neumann Good Samaritan Ministry will make a monthly donation to the mission using these funds. You can also visit the mission’s website to make a donation.
- A $200 gift pays for one year of Catholic school or a wood-burning, fuel-efficient stove
- A $1,000 gift will build a wooden home, improving the quality of life for a family
- A $12,000 gift will build a five-room concrete family home
St. John Neumann will host mission trips in 2017:
- Young Adult/Christmas Break Trip: Successful trip!
- Adult Trip: January 31-February 7, 2017 – Pray for Us!
- High School Youth Trip: June 6-13, 2017
- Flights, approximately $600-$800 round-trip (Christmas trip fares will be higher due to holiday flight increases)
- Lodging, food, and transportation, $30/day
Please watch the bulletin and announcements for more information about upcoming trips, or contact parishioner Kris Shade with questions, email@example.com.